That ban will be lifted according to an agreement between the city and the SoCal Mobile Food Vendors Assn., which filed a suit against the city last year.
A 1984 amendment to a state law prohibits cities from outlawing mobile food vendors although many continue to keep outdated ordinances in the books, Jeffrey Dermer, an attorney for the association, said.
Monrovia, however, passed new restrictive legislation about mobile food vendors in 2010 that appeared aimed at protecting favored interests, namely merchants in Old Town, he said.
“They decided to change what we view as illegal laws to a whole bunch of new illegal laws,” Dermer said Thursday.
Mayor Mary Ann Lutz said city officials believed they had done nothing wrong but decided to settle to avoid going to trial.
“It made more sense financially for us,” Lutz said. “I think it’s important to say that we never said food trucks could not come to our community; we were just trying to find a way where they could cohesively exist in our community.”Los Angeles Times